Wednesday 24 November 2010

My itinerary has arrived!

My itinerary has turned up today and it's jam packed! As soon as we arrive we are straight into the thick of things. We fly from Saturday to Saturday and so that means that we're really making the most of our time there. On te Sunday afternoon when we arrive, we meet the WaterAid Bangladesh officials and learn more about their work out there. They also want to understand about how we fundraise back in the UK so I've been trying to get hold of some photos of events. Then on Monday, we're off to visit an urban slum in the city of Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. It's beginning to hit home now what I'm going to be doing and seeing - people around me at work are talking about meetings or plans for next week, and it's a surreal experience to decline an invite whilst thinking "I'll be in a slum whilst you're in that meeting"!

On Monday we then head to Khulna, a city in the south west of the country where we will be predominantly based, along with Koira, a rural village about 3 hours outside of Khulna. We're going to spend some time with a family in Koira, living their lives with them - chopping firewood, walking to collect water etc. This is the bit that I'm looking forward to the most I think, getting to see the reality of no clean water and no flushing toilet. I'm expecting it to be an eye-opening day! In Koira, we'll also be visiting a school, before visiting some rain water harvesting systems and pond filters in Shyamnagar and then heading back to Khulna to see some more urban settings. Once I'm back there, I'm going to help build a latrine - I better make sure I pack my muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment