Friday 26 November 2010

Flying tomorrow - I'm so excited!

Well, I've just finished re-packing what was already packed and I'm now definitely ready to go! I've also been doing some more research on Bangladesh today, and have been shocked at some of the statistics I've read. There are 150 million people living in Bangladesh - it's one of the most overpopulated countries in the world. Only 36% of these people have access to clean water - what a thought! Arsenic in the water supply is a huge problem, along with fresh water supplies becoming unusable when the monsoon floods occur, as the fresh water becomes affected by salinity issues. I really want to find out how they deal with these sorts of issues whilst I'm there. It's also struck me how precarious the situation is in Bangladesh - if the sea level rises by 1 metre, then 20 million people will be displaced - that's equivalent to a third of our population suddenly having nowhere to live. It puts into perspective just how lucky we are in this country.

Well, I'm off to bed now, as I'm up early to catch the plan. I'll be blogging from Bangladesh when the internet connection allows, so keep reading and I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment