Wednesday 24 November 2010

All packed and ready to roll

I spent last night packing ready for Saturday, so I'm now all ready to go. I was amazed that everything fitted in my rucksack - I thought I'de be squeezing it all in but it seems to fit quite comfortably, so I'm now wondering what I've forgotten! I've got a few last minute things to buy on a Friday before heading down South to stop off with family on my way to Heathrow, ready for Saturday's flight. It's only 5 days though so I keep reminding myself that I'm sure I can cope without most things for a few days!

We've had an email through from WaterAid today to let us know that the itinerary may change at the last minute, as on one of the days that we were due to travel internally, there is a day of national strikes planned by the main opposition party. It's made me think about Bangladesh's future quite a lot. WaterAid only works in politically stable countries, where they know that the money will go to those who need it, and Bangladesh is really fortunate that the local government and the NGOs (non gonverment organisations) work really closely together as they're more effective that way. But it's made me wonder what would happen if a different party came into power, and I think this is something I'll ask about when I'm over there. It puts in perspective politics in this country though - at least when the coalition came into effect this year, it didn't affect our access to clean water! Let's hope it will be the same in Bangladesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment